Restore Windows Default Settings is an important step that should be done when windows gets slow down or when it doesn’t boot correctly instead of reinstalling it.
Windows get quicker and easier to use when it freshly installed. Over time, the accumulation of files as result of programs usage, incorrectly configurations setting and many other factors slows down your Windows performance.
If you find that your Windows don’t run the way you expect and opening programs and saving files takes longer than usual, you may think to reinstall windows to resolve this problem, But you can try to reset windows default settings first to save time and effort of installing new Windows.
In this tutorials you will learn how to restore default setting in your windows without losing your files.
Restore Default Settings in Different Windows
Restore default settings is available in different names for each windows version.
Stating with windows 7, it completes via Sysprep tool.
In Windows 8 and 8.1, Restore default setting is available as Refresh Your PC option.
In Windows 10 it’s available as Reset This PC Which a group of three options: Keep my file, remove everything and Restore Factory Settings.
Basically, Windows 8’s Refresh Your PC is the same as the Keep my files option in Reset This PC in Windows 10, and the Reset Your PC Option in Windows 8 equates to the Remove everything choice like Restore Factory Default Setting in Windows 10.
Restore Default Settings in Windows 7
Windows 7 restore process complete using Sysprep tool.
- Open Run. Shortcut: Windows key + R
- Type Sysprep and Click OK.
You can find Sysprep folder in directory: %systemroot%\System32\sysprep\
- Sysprep Folder will open, Right click on Sysprep.exe and click on Run as Administrator.
- From System Cleanup Action, Choose Enter System out-of-box Experience (OOBE).
- Mark on Generalize.
- Set shutdown option to Shutdown.
- Now you can Start Your PC and configure your windows settings as a first use.
Refresh Your PC in Windows 8 and 8.1
- From Settings, Click on Change PC Settings.
- Click on Update and Recovery, Then click Recovery.
- Under Refresh Your PC without affecting your files, Click on Get Started.
- You’ll notice about the result of refresh process, read it and Click Next.
- Click on Refresh to start restoring you default setting without losing your files.
- Your PC will restart now, Wait until refreshing process is complete, usually it takes about 20 minutes to complete.
- Complete desktop configuration like the first time you installed Windows.
Reset this PC in Windows 10
- From Start Menu, Click on Settings.
- Click on Update & Security, then Click on Recovery.
- Under Reset This PC, Click Get Started.
- Choose an Option wizard will display, Click on Keep my files.
- Click Reset to confirm and start the restore process.
- Your Windows will restart after preparing some settings before resetting process.
Restoring Windows default settings let you fix slowdown performance and windows boot issues, It’s very important to maintain your windows every few months to avoid any problems arise or your can take recovery image from your whole system included all drivers and program you have installed.
You May Also Like:
- How to Recover Lost Partitions using DiskGenius.
- How to Convert Windows ESD or SWM Files to WIM File.
- Comparison: Best 4TB Hard Drives in 2018.